What are the entry requirements for a nursing or midwifery program?

Read item number 11 on http://www.nmcgh.org/mandate/downloads

How to get PIN or AIN

As a newly qualified Nurse Assistant, Nurse or Midwife, the Council will issue a PIN or AIN to you upon Registration or enrollment. 
Nurse Assistants, Nurses and Midwives whose PINs or AINs have expired can renew them upon submission of the following prescribed requirements:
The applicant must have attended Workshops of Five(5) Days duration or Thirty (30) Contact hours together with; 
Two (2)  Current Passport Pictures in Prescribed Uniform over a Red background for Nurse Assistants (Auxiliaries) and
Two (2)  Current Passport-size Pictures in Prescribed Uniform over a White background for Nurses and Midwives (Professionals)
Applicants shall pay the prescribed fee.


Why should I renew my PIN/AIN?

• It confirms ones professional status, 
•No employer would employ any Nurse or Nurse Assistant without a PIN or AIN,
•It could be used for employment in the private sector even while on retirement.


What happens when I do not renew my PIN/AIN?

It is an offense to practice with an expired PIN/AIN. This attracts a penalty and or imprisonment as enshrined under Section 73 (d) of the Health Professions Regulatory Bodies Act, 2013 (Act 857).


Why does it take too long to receive PIN or AIN after submitting an application?

The duration for processing of PIN or AIN is in fact Thirty (30) minutes after payment of the prescribed fee.  Other causes of delay in processing PIN or AIN include: 
Mistakes in Registration or Enrollment Number(s) written by applicants.
Update(s) of knowledge and skills in subjects that are not relevant to the applicant’s area of practice.
Insufficient Update(s).
No evidence of update(s) in knowledge and skills.
Applications without recent Passport-size Pictures
Pictures that do not meet the prescribed specification.
Non disclosure of other Registration or Enrollment numbers by applicants who have multiple Registration or Enrollment Numbers.
NB:  Registration or Enrollment number is the same as Certificate Number. 


What do I do if I misplace my PIN/AIN card before the expiry date?

Report at the nearest Police station and request for a Police extract
Take the Police extract to the Council’s Regional Office where the PIN/AIN was issued and apply for replacement.

What are CPDs/CPEs and their relevance in nursing and midwifery practice?

CPD means Continuing Professional Development and CPE means Continuing Professional Education.
CPD/CPE is important because it enables nurses and midwives maintain, improve and broaden their knowledge, expertise and competence, and develop the personal and professional qualities required throughout their professional lives.
CPD/CPE is a requirement for renewal of PIN.


What does CPD mean

CPD is the acronym for Continuing Professional Development.  It is the process through which professionals update and improve their knowledge and skills to assist them perform better in their careers.

CPD is ‘continuing’ because learning never stops! CPD is ‘professional’ because it is about maintaining the specialized knowledge and skills that nurses and midwives need in order to carry out their work.

CPD is about ‘development’ because it is about moving towards something better so it will help raise the standards of healthcare across the country.

All Nurse Assistants, Nurses and Midwives wherever they work – in hospitals, clinics, health centres, training schools, universities, nursing & midwifery organizations, commercial companies, charities, orphanages, schools and NGOs are encouraged to pursue CPD programmes from time to time because it is a requirement for renewal of PIN or AIN.


Where will CPD activities be carried out?

The Council will organize CPD programmes nationwide every year. The Council’s CPD programme is based on 3 key aspects - Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes.  Some organisations have also been accredited by the Council to run CPD programmes. They are; FOCOS, MSSI, The Health Institute, Ghana, Princefield College, STREC Limited and Africa Partners Medical.
In addition to the accredited CPD providers, hospitals and training institutions can also organize such programmes. 

Nurse Assistants, Nurses and Midwives will be responsible for organizing their attendance at these sessions and keeping their Logbook updated.  

Some CPD activities will be part of regular in-service training, some might be external training courses, meetings or conferences.

NB: To know about upcoming CPD progammes, please visit the event calendar on our website frequently for updated information.

Can I Register at a Regional Office?

YES. Applicants are required to Register in the Region where they trained. 

Why does it take so long to receive my Registration Letter

The duration for processing an application for Registration or Enrollment is Three (3) months.
Applicants are advised to contact the Regional Office where they registered if they do not receive any correspondence Three (3) months after they have Registered.
The reasons for delayed Registration include:
Improperly completed Application Form.
Incomplete information provided by applicant.
Inconsistent information provided by applicant.
Passport-size Pictures that do not meet the prescribed specifications.
No evidence or proof of payment.
Unreliable or incorrect Contact Address.
Inaccessible telephone number(s).

How do I get licensed to practice in Ghana as a foreign trained Nurse or Midwife?

Please follow the link below for guidelines on how to Register as a foreign trained Nurse or Midwife. 
You can also find the same information on the downloads page, item no. 3, 4 & 5. 

How many times can I sit for Licensing Examinations

As many times as will enable you pass

Can I Register to re-sit the licensing examinations in part?

No. All referred papers must be re-sat at a go.

Can I change my Name?

Only female Nurses and Midwives can change their surnames from the maiden to their spouse’s name upon completing a prescribed Form.
You are also required to attach the following documents and any other relevant document.
An Application Letter
A Gazette publication
A Legible Copy of Marriage Certificate  

What is indexing?

It is the process of recording personal data as well as academic qualifications of newly admitted students into a data base and ensuring that the students meet the prescribed entry requirement for the particular programme applied for.

What is Verification?

It is the processes of ascertaining one’s credentials as a qualified Nurse or Midwife. 
The requirements for verification are:
Applicant’s Name
Name of training institution
Dates of commencement of training and completion
Type of programme and date(s) of Licensing Examinations

What is the use of log books?

The logbooks serve the purpose of keeping track of the practical sessions undertaken by newly qualified nurses during their fifty-two (52) weeks of mandatory internship.
Logbooks are given to tutors of training institutions to monitor their knowledge, attitude and clinical skills which is an important element in capacity building for the individual’s speciality area

Who is qualified to be issued a log book and a Provisional License?

A newly qualified Nurse or Midwife (one who has just passed his/her licensing examination)

How to register for National Service

Procedure for registering with the National Service Scheme (NSS)  
Go to the National Service Scheme (NSS) website – www.nssghana.org 
Click on Enrollment
Enter your Pin Code eg:GHS123456 (this code is from the NSS and it is issued by NMC during Registration)
Complete the Registration Form
When completed click on the submit button
Wait a while, a new number (NSS Number) will be generated for you at the top left hand corner of the form
This number would be required when checking your posting online
How to check postings with the NSS 
Go to the National Service Scheme (NSS) website – www.nssghana.org 
Click on postings
Enter your NSS Number
Posting form and letter will appear for printing
Submit it at NSS Regional Office for Registration
Go to the Regional Director of the Health Services (RDHS) for further posting instruction or his/her designated representative. That is, the DDNS in-charge of your respective region.


Do I need to notify the Council of my change of address?

Yes. N&MC will need a valid and current mailing address for correspondence. If you have changed your address, update the Council with your address so that all correspondence will be sent to the correct address.

I have changed my place of employment. How do I inform the N&MC


Please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and include your PIN and new place of employment in your email.

I am a nurse assistant, nurse or midwife, but not working in direct patient care. Do I need to renew my PIN/AIN?

Yes. The practice of nursing or midwifery is not limited to direct patient care. It includes nursing and midwifery Management, education and research. If being a nurse assistant,  nurse or midwife is a requirement for your position, you must be on NMC's Register and renew your PIN/AIN.

If I have a PIN/ AIN do I still need my certificate


Yes. The two documents go hand in hand.